Spring Term 2012 CHM 1025C Lab Rules:
1. Each student must have the required Laboratory Manual and Laboratory Notebook prior to the second scheduled lab class. Instructions on using a laboratory notebook will be provided in the Safety lab handout packet.
2. During the first scheduled lab class in D-204, the following will be covered
a. Students will sign the master laboratory attendance form and this form will be given to Dr. Julie Sutton, North Campus Lab Manager
b. Students will sign and give the instructor one copy of the individual laboratory contract to verify attendance the first day of schedule lab and keep a second copy to make a similar copy on the first page of the student laboratory notebook.
c. Show the ACS Laboratory Safety film. Students will take notes and copy these notes into the laboratory notebook on page 2 before the second meeting on the lab class. An Outline of the film may be provided to aid the note taking.
d. Student will copy the FSCJ-North chemistry lab rules handed out the first meeting into their laboratory notebook.
e. Students will sketch the HMIS Labeling System and list the descriptions for each number for each category in their laboratory notebook
f. Students will Sketch the NFPA symbol and then copy a more detailed or specific hazard for each NFPA numeric category from the Safety Codes handout. Explain what each number represents in each category in their laboratory notebook.
g. Using Chemical Date Bases on the Internet, the student will copy on a new page in their notebook the data sheet from the MSDS Assignment handout and fill in the form for the chemical assigned and submit this page by the second lab period.
3. There is no makeup for missing a scheduled lab (unless the student can show registration into the course after the first lab meeting). Students may drop the lowest lab grade except the first lab on safety if they have attended all scheduled lab.
4. Students receive an automatic zero for not attending and completing the scheduled lab (except the first lab on safety) or if they have not prepared the proper prelab assignment.
5. All students will prepare as directed by a policy handout the first week of lab, a prelab report. This prelab report must have the following sections:
c. Lab data sheets must be copied into the lab notebook for the scheduled lab.
6. No data may be written on the data tear out pages in the lab manual during the lab. All data must be recorded directly into the lab notebook with a ball point pen, pressing hard to make a clear copy underneath (do not forget to place the heavy periodic chart between the lab notebook pages).
7. Neatness counts. Procedures that are not readable will be rejected by the lab instructor. During the first 10 minutes of lab, the student will turn in the copy of #5 Part A: Goals/Objectives and #5 B: Procedures. Each page should have the student’s name. Please staple all these pages together in order.
8. Students not having a prepared prelab report in their lab notebook with be sent home by the instructor and receive a zero for that lab.
9. During the first 10 minutes, the instructor will initial the original of the prelab report before the student is allowed to proceed.
10. Students who do not have a lab manual will not be allowed to work in the lab and receive a zero for the scheduled lab (except the first week).
11. The external lab doors will be shut 10 minutes after the lab begins. No student will be allowed to work in the lab if they arrive over 10 minutes late.
12. Students will work only in pairs, 12 setups. Students will be assigned to a work space by the third lab and by then will have selected a lab partner. Odd students will work alone if a partner doesn't show.
13. Student will copy the lab data directing into the lab manual data pages and submit the copies of each data page used in the lab notebook The student will submit before she/he leaves the copy of the lab data page from the notebook. During the next week the student will copy neatly from his/her data from the notebook on to the original data page from the lab manual. The original data page from the Lab manual will be the cover sheet(s) for the lab report and submitted during the first 10 minutes of the following week’s lab.
14. Your instructor may modified any of the above instructions during the lab or in an email before or after the lab has been performed.
15. For the first absence from lab, a student will be able to complete an outside the class assignment/project as directed by the faculty member to makeup the work missed.
16. For a second absence from the lab, the instructor may or may not allow the student a second makeup project. A third makeup is out of the question. However, student with perfect attendance in lab, will be allowed to do one of the optional makeup projects for bonus credit.